Banana Mutt Cookies: A Diabetic Dog Treat
My Papillon Mix Paisley has been diagnosed with diabetes. So we now share a health problem; we both have to watch what we eat. So in this issue I have included a recipe for making treats for the diabetic dog.
1 ½ bananas ½ tsp vanilla
3 cups oatmeal ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup unsalted peanuts
Preheat to 350 degrees. Mix all together. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and press flat. Bake for 15 minutes.
Especially with a diabetic dog, the treats should only be 10 percent of the dog’s daily intake. So even if your dog is crazy about your treats, DON’T over-indulge your pet. Here’s a list of healthy dog treat ingredients for your diabetic dog treat recipes:
• Whole grain flours • Meat and fish
• Eggs • Oatmeal or oat flour
• Chicken broth • Cornmeal
• Buttermilk • Raw seeds like sesame seeds or sunflower seeds
• Bran for roughage – oat or whole wheat
• Brewer’s yeast • Beans
• Brown rice • Pumpkin
• Carrots • Unsweetened applesauce
• Apples • Flaxseeds
When making treats for your diabetic dog, beware of the ingredients. In addition to the standard “NO!” list, diabetic dogs should NOT have the following:
• White sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, etc.
• Syrup – corn, malt, maple, etc.
• Fructose, dextrose, maltose, etc.
• Sweetened peanut butter, applesauce, etc.
By Chef Patti
For Book & Product Review Consideration/Submission
Please mail a copy or sample product to:
P.O. Box 437
Cedar Grove, WI 53013
Copies/samples will not be returned.
FOR DIRECT QUESTIONS ON ARTICLES
Nastassia Putz, Publisher